Heavy duty tin, beeswax lined canteen made by our Tinsmith, Axel Ulrich of Pennsylvania. The filter canteen was patented by Charles Bartholomae in 1861. As per the patent filed on July 06, 1861 – “The object of this invention is to obtain a canteen which may be worn with greater facility than those of usual construction, more readily filled and more convenient to drink from, and one supplied with an efficient filtering device, which may be used whenever necessity requires.”
Details of the canteen are based on 11 surviving originals. Does not include the filter cartridge as an original has not been located for reproduction.