Made exclusively for us by M. Simmons, this Atlanta Arsenal .58 caliber cartridge box is made from iron-dyed Hermann Oak leather, hand-sewn with linen thread and includes two tins. The Atlanta Arsenal produced goods for Georgian troops and the Army of Tennessee between 1862 and 1864. Established in March 1862 after Nashville fell to Union troops, the supplies, facilities and personnel (including the Commander, Colonel Moses H. Wright) were removed to Atlanta and a new arsenal established. The new arsenal was a large facility that eventually had thirteen buildings and employed some five thousand workers. The Atlanta Arsenal was closed when Union General William T. Sherman advanced on Atlanta in August 1864.
Made in Florida.