This fine example of the M1861 Springfield musket, .58cal, dated 1862, was produced by William Mason at Mason Machine Works of Taunton, Massachusetts. Mason produced 30,000 muskets under the subcontract from the Springfield Armory, starting in 1862.
Musket is all original with no replacement parts. Lockplate is stamped “U.S. / Wm. MASON. / TAUNTON” with the eagle motif forward of the hammer and “1862” behind the hammer. Mechanics are strong and crisp. Fine steel butt plate in good condition. The 40″ long barrel has a surface that appears to have been well-cared for but never cleaned, with the metal’s dark chocolate brown patina matching throughout the musket. Barrel has the original two-leaf rear sight and small blade front sight. Barrel is stamped with “VP” over eagle along with what is left of the “1862” on the heavily pitted rear of the barrel. Stock is in good condition with no significant cracks; however, the inspector cartouches have been lost to time. **** * ****
*USE THE BLUEDOG CHECKOUT OPTION FOR ALL FIREARM PURCHASES!!!!!
When ordering reproduction firearms from Regimental Quartermaster, please be aware of the following:
- Due to state law in New Jersey, we are unable to ship firearms there.
- We can not ship our reproduction Firearms outside of the United States.
- Before firing any of the listed firearms, we recommend a thorough cleaning of the rifle or revolver.
- We recommend that any live firing should be done with an experienced shooter present.
- Must be 18 years of age to purchase any firearms.
NOTE: ALL black powder musket and revolver shipments require an adult signature for delivery! Due to Legal Restrictions we do not ship firearms to New Jersey or outside the U.S.